Features Events Compilations CD's African Calendar
Training Consulting Digitisation Media Management Media Sales
Training Consulting Digitisation Media Management Media Sales
CD's Subscriptions
Africa Media Online - Logo

Cape Castle cornerstones laid: 355th anniversary

On 2 January 1666 the four corner stones of the Castle of Good Hope (Kasteel van Goede Hoop) at the Cape were laid by Zacharias Wagenaer, Johan van Arckel, Gabbema and Lacus, the structure was completed by 1679.

The Castle of Good Hope is the oldest surviving building in South Africa. This fortification replaced a small clay and timber fort built by Jan van Riebeeck in 1652 upon establishing a maritime replenishment station at the Cape of Good Hope for the Dutch East India Company, better known as the VOC. The castle has a pentagonal plan a five-pointed star, with moat and bastions at each corner, the five bastions were called Leerdam, Buuren, Katzenellenbogen, Nassau and Oranje, In 1936 the Castle was declared a National Monument. Source: SA History

Below are some images of the Cape Castle available for licensing.

  Go to Page:

"Cape Castle cornerstones laid: 355th anniversary"

  Go to Page: